Monday, October 21, 2013

Halloween Festivities

So last year Steve came up with a great theme for our costumes which was pretty doable and ended up winning us a prize at a fun Halloween party we crashed.

That just stacked the deck for expectations for this year.  Steve, yet again, came up with a brilliant idea...which seemed pretty doable, but got my wheels turning and seemed to take up all my waking thoughts.  Our poor house went to shambles with my sewing machine, fabric, thread, and all my unpicking remnants everywhere...but we finally got them sorted.  Steve LOVES the Wreck It Ralph movie and, of course, got Ross to love it too which made it easy to sell him on the costume - that and he got to have a golden hammer. :)

Ruby's costume of Vanellope Von Schweetz consisted of an adult woman's jacket which I used to make her leggings and sweatshirt, and I made her hat out of some black knit fabric and hot glued the candies on.  I found her brown skirt at the thrift store as well and already had black boots for her.
 
Little Vanellope





Even got a hand in the pouch for a moment. :)

Ross's Fix-It-Felix costume was fairly easy.  I found his shirt at the thrift store and sewed it smaller, bought his hat and sewed on the Fix-it-Felix logo as well as gluing on his name on the shirt.  My friend, Amy, was amazing and had the tan boots she gave us and I made his tool belt out of some old pants.  Figuring out the hammer was tricky - first I saran wrapped one and spray painted it, but it still looked a bit messy.  I then cut a foam one - but that just didn't cut it either.  Finally I went to Goodwill and found just a plastic hammer head that was a nice 29 cent find  and glued it onto an old highlighter marker which was then sprayed with gold spray paint (everyone should have that stuff on hand).  It was pretty legit. :)
 
He can balance that baby all by itself!


He didn't want to wear the hat at the party - little stinker.

He only wore the gloves for about as long as it took to take this picture - darn!

I can fix it!

I can really fix it!

Steve's Wreck-It-Ralph costume was fabric covered foam for his hands, and lazy quick sew of brown fabric into overalls, using of his red shirt from last year, and a felt make-shift hair band. :)  
 
Wolverine and Wreck-It-Ralph both have some rage issues...

By the time I got to my cybug killing Calhoun costume, I was over adding all the bells and whistles.  So I just got a black shirt and running pants and packed them with towels to accentuate the hips, and socks in the shoulders for my armor.  I covered a water gun with black fabric, and put my hair up to look sort of short.  
 
The Wreck-It-Ralph Clan :)




We had a great time at the Halloween party and won another prize for best family costumes!  Woot woot!  There were some SWEET costumes as well. :)  I love dressing up for Halloween and enjoying good company - always something fun to look forward to. :)

The Jepsons - referees, soccer player and cheer leader :)

Cute pirate Davin playin' with Rubes (he loves her and I love it!)

The Olsens - Despicable Me complete with minions :)

The Vosses: Willy Wonka, Veruca Salt, and an Oompa Loompa :)

Two Sweeties - one works the chocolate - the other works the candy. :)

The Rasmussens: A Princess scared by a Dragon fighting a Knight :)


The Woods: Some cowgirls and a cowboy

The Steenbliks: Duck Dynasty :) Two ducks, Jase, and Willie :)





Just chillin'

The Sweeneys: A shark and two surfers :)

I'm so proud of Ruby's sweatshirt I made all by myself!

Willy Wonka and his Factory Oompa Loompa

Games!

A Cheerleader with magical powers :)

Kids playing with things they shouldn't...yeah the middle one is mine.
We also did a little pre-trick-or-treating at the Optometry school to test out the costumes.  Ross and Rubes were a hit.  Ross caught onto the idea that if you hold out your pumpkin and say trick-or-treat - people actually put treats in it.  He started saying it to EVERYONE - sometimes multiple times.  It was pretty cute. :)


Trick-or-treating :)

Ruby's ready for a nap

As I was getting costumes all ready, Ross was allowed to watch a show.  Ruby was crawling around and I found them like this.  She plopped herself right next to him.

Cute Rubes - note Ross in zombie land - what TV does to him - oh dear.
Side note: Ross loves bacon

And eating apples like a scavenging animal :)

Cute girl :)

This girl does not do flashes ;)

Some cute kids in cute Halloween PJ's from Grammy Joanne

Hugs!


Happy Halloween!

1 comment: