Saturday, October 12, 2013

Teaching Pre-School and Having Some Laughs

First - so aren't my kids to DIE FOR CUTE?!!  Just had to put that out there. :)
I immediately ate them up after this picture. :)
 
So last week was my turn to teach our little pre-school we've had going for our toddlers.  I got to be the assistant the week before and was able to get some good observing in before deciding how to tackle planning my own week.  

I will admit - I went a little crazy.  It was like my teacher side had been cooped up far too long and went ravenously overboard as I dusted off my lesson planning techniques.  So, of course the first day was a bit manic with all the stuff I planned to do (remember this is really just a glorified play group for the most part with some structural learning time).  I decided to go with the theme of autumn and winter (we also got to choose what we wanted to teach - totally liberating).  

We talked about what it looks like and feels like outside when it turns to autumn and focused a lot on the colors the leaves turn and how we dress.  They loved the dressing up part - and the songs.  I even found a beloved old kindergarten song that has somehow stayed with me my entire life that we sang and danced to called Mr. Wind is a Mischief - go to minute 1.41 for the song.  It was a definite success.
 
The bunch spreading out what to wear in Autumn.




Yes - we learned about the letter "I" as well.  So we had to have "I" cookies! (I know - you want to be in my pre-school - it's okay)

Ross was, of course, clingy to me the whole time while I was trying to teach.  What is it about sharing your mom that is so hard especially when he uses so much selective hearing with me when he's got me along? ;)

The second day went a bit chiller - the kids were happier, and I think I tamed my inner-crazy-teacher more - thank goodness.  We reviewed a little more on autumn and put leaves on and took them off of a felt tree I made and then went into winter - building playdough snowman (Once There Was a Snowman song included) and having paper snowball fights.  
 
I love these kiddos!  Caleb, Davin, Naomi, Wes, Ross, Jack, Carter, and Brooklyn


Snack time is the one time EVERYONE is calm and quiet while they munch down their food while on their circles.

My felt tree ;)

It was definitely much different teaching 2 year olds as opposed to 6 year olds - but they did really well.  Ross loves pre-school.  When you ask him what his favorite part was every time it's when they got to play with the toys and he had some sort of truck during that time.  I've been trying to marry his passion of trucks to more educational things so I came up with the idea of a matching alphabet and truck card game.  I found all the pictures I needed and then utilized my friend, Kim's designing talents to create the cards.  Success!  Ross LOVES them and he's enjoying our alphabet games much more. ;)  If you'd like me to send you a set you can print off yourself just message me and I'll email them.  I just printed them on cardstock, cut them out and laminated them.  Brilliant!  I need to some up with a set for numbers now. :) 

Here's a sample of them. :)

I also was asked by the Relief Society (women's organization within our Church) to do a presentation on writing your personal history.  I found this assignment to be very broad and was all over the place deciding where to take it in order to motivate people to just write things about their lives.  So I scoured over my 15+ journals (yes I was a good journal writer back in the day....until I got married and had someone to talk to before I went to bed each night - that journal is about halfway through from the past 5 years - embarrassing) and found some examples to use - my first journal entry ever was actually 22 years ago in 3 days - Oct 15th, 1991 - it read as follows:
"Dear Journal,
I'm in second grade.  My teache's name is Mrs. Phillips.  I'm on the second row.  I had to trade places with Malinda.  And I sit close to Chelsie.  I have a boyfriend named Eric.  He is Chelsie's boyfriend too.  P.S.  Miss Sabie is too (my teacher).  I chase Eric almost everyday.  I know his phone number.  Well - good-by for now."

Everything and more right?  I had a good laugh reading how my words and tone would change over the years.  My teenage years sound EXACTLY like teenage years and are filled with all that drama you would think of as well.  

Anyway - after all my research and reflecting, I realized I'm not a fabulous writer.  I don't write in a whole variety of ways.  I'm extremely wordy and probably add way more details than anyone (including myself) probably cares to read at times, but the whole point of writing about your life is to help someone else get a taste of what it was like to be you.  It's YOUR life.  So write it like you own it! :)

We had a great turnout for the activity and hopefully I didn't stumble too much over myself.

Anyway - in between all this, Ross, Ruby and I mostly chilled, planned Halloween costumes (Ruby had some great insights.  Ross was also very supportive), and had some laughs. :)


A visit to our old Parkview Apartment complex - I LIVED for these trees turning all golden yellow in the fall.  Still do :)

Swingin'


Headin' to the farmer's market again. :)

One of the trips headed to pre-school!

My TERRIBLE phone camera botching a perfect picture!

Keeping Ruby contained

Ross got a special present from Grammy and Papa Staheli - he LOVES it - especially poking and whacking things...watch out Rubes! His ADORABLE Halloween monster PJ's are also courtesy of Grammy Joanne.  We LOVE grandparents in this house! ;)

We Oregonians are a bit sun deprived here.  Ruby is exploring one of our sunnier days. :)
We went to get Ruby up from her nap and Ross wanted to visit his old stomping grounds.


Sibling love!

These faces are PRICELESS.  I love Ruby's giant foot in the corner too.  It was time to get real clothes on that day so we stripped them down!

Bath time!
This girl had to get her bath shots too!



Baby bum shot!

Ross was helping Ruby finish some banana

We had lots of story times as well.  Llama Llama Red Pajama is a fav.

No comments:

Post a Comment