Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Twos of the Terrible

It seems our little adorable Ross has discovered his stubbornness...and some new facial expressions that emphasize it.  I will get them on camera soon so everyone can know what I'm talking about.  I am quite amused by his little face actually.  This new defiance which I'm sure I will get tired of VERY quickly results in him giving me a look which involves his eyes becoming half closed, his mouth pouting half down, and his nose being raised in the air.  I usually end up laughing out loud by the end of some of the standoffs we've had lately.  His cute little face is so stinkin' adorable even with all the stubborn personality pouring out of it.  
Mealtimes have become the terribleness of his two-ness.  Usually if Ross is wanting to be done with his meal or wanting something such as fruit snacks or a pretzel, I ask him to take one more bite of something healthy if he didn't quite meet my standard which he quickly does.  He's been rewarded EVERY time for this with whatever his request was.  Somehow overnight the sandman must have whispered in his ear that he doesn't have to do whatever his mother tells him and that Daddy will save him if he holds out long enough.  I have no idea how he believes this, but I've found myself waiting out Ross to take one measly, silly, stupid little bite so that life can go on and we both can be happy.  He's tried to sideswipe me by taking the bite, giving it a few chews, and then promptly spitting it out while his hand is extended for the fruit snack or pretzel.  Unfortunately for him I don't buy it.  He went down for his nap hungry the other day and woke up quite grumpy about it.  I'm not an unreasonable mother - it's usually getting him to take one more bite of something he actually LIKES before he gets what he wants.  I know we have a long road ahead of us.  Steve and I will be having a pow wow on how we're really going to get in to the discipline aspect of parenting.  Time outs are beginning to ring a bell with Ross, but just barely.  Oh the fun of parenting. :)
Ruby continues to be a doll.  She has recently gotten a bit squirmy and thrashes sometimes while she's nursing.  I have a feeling it has to do with her developmental state - she's discovering her hands.  She loves to suck on them and gives them the eye down occasionally - I think this phase is so hilarious.  She will squawk a bit if she gets a little lonely in her swing or playing with her toys on the floor, but the second you look at her she's flashing her knock out smile at you and you can't help yourself but stay and play.  
 
Wearing her umbrella onesie from her cute Auntie Janae for the Oregon rainy day!



Found her sleeping like this while the swing was going...

Ready to command the troops. :)

Gotta love those hands!

She's a deer in the headlights when the flash is on :)

I forgot to mention the BIG deal of Ruby sleeping through the night - or maybe I did and have forgotten - anyway - I'm proclaiming it now that Ruby sleeps on average 7-8 hours at night now.  Wahoo!!  Now I just need to get to bed right when Ruby goes to bed and we'll be set.  Somehow a few of those hours slip away from me while I get to have "pretend-I'm-not-a-mommy" time before I hit the sack.  
Ruby usually eats around 6:30AM, 10, 1:45, 5, 7:45 and 10PM.  Six feedings a day isn't too bad.  I'm a little nervous to go to 5, but I'm sure I'll get over that soon.  She's a great sleeper in the mornings, but not so much the afternoon/evenings.  I've come to terms with that once she slept through the night. :)  
Ross and I have broken out the baby toys and Ross readily showed Ruby how to play with them.  He had a good time reminiscing about the good ol' days. ;)  Ruby likes the rattle ones the best I think (or I've just decided for her).  It really is quite fun having two kids.  They are absolutely beautiful children and my heart aches at the thought of those who think they don't want children.  They are a kind of joy that you could NEVER experience unless you had them.  They are a TON of work, but so satisfying to have - and I'm laughing all the way through it too - what a way to live life right? :)
We had the Horchs over for a yummy buttermilk syrup waffle breakfast before Conference started.  Ross and Wes had a wrestle/tackle fight with the Mylar balloon from Ross's bithday.

I think Mylar balloons truly refuse to pop under any circumstance!

Wes LOVED it.  Ross loved it for a while. ;)

We enjoyed watching General Conference and listening to our Prophet, Apostles, and Church Leaders speak and share their counsel for these times.  The role and importance of the family especially stuck out to me as well as how vital it is to keep and live the commandments at all times.  The world is spinning out of control so quickly in my opinion, I'm so glad to know how to live after the manner of true happiness.  I know the Gospel of Jesus Christ is true.  I can see how wonderfully it has affected my life.  It was so nice to be refreshed on what's important and how I can be better.
We've been just plugging along this week.  I finally got to putting away all our things from Spring Break - woot woot!  Other than that we've just been playing, cooking, and cleaning.  Steve did AMAZING on his big CAP presentation he's been working on ALL year.  His classmates gave extremely positive feedback, and he and his partner Emily did such a good job presenting their research.  I'm super proud of him.  We're almost clear of his classes being over.  He's definitely hanging in there!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment