The night before his party was when we were all trying to recuperate from our extravagant meal and adventures at the zoo. I realized I need to do a little prep work before our little party the next day. I saw this on a blog that an elder's wife from my mission had done and loved it. Ross has loved The Hungry Caterpillar book whenever we would read it to him so I thought it would be fun and fairly simple.
Of course I decide to make cake pops for the first time ever the night before Ross' birthday party. While my family was hanging out detoxing I felt things were going fairly well in the kitchen...until I tried to dye the melted chocolate - it immediately turned on me when I put the drops in and couldn't understand why! I went researching a little and found you should use GEL dye instead of the drops...obviously I would wait until AFTER I ruined the batch to look this up. My mom became the cheerleader for the endeavor and came with me to the store at 10 at night to get some more melting chocolate. We grabbed 2 bags of the chocolate just in case and headed home to try again. I put the gel in this time and it STILL started hardening! I was ready to call it a night, but my mom - the true blue supporter - said we should keep trying. So - back to the internet again to find out why. Had I read the whole instructions on cake pops before? Well of course not!! So if I would have read a little further down the instructions reminding you to add the gel AND to add a scoop of shortening to keep it from thickening up. Good thing we had another bag of chocolate. My parents headed home and I tried one last time...and it finally worked!!! The color wasn't what I wanted exactly, but I was not complaining if it was going to finally work. I popped them in the fridge and we went off to bed.
The next day we got ready for Ross's little party. Grammy and Grampa took Ross for a walk and some swinging while we got the rest of the decorations and things ready. We had invited a couple other babies to come, but one was sick and the other couldn't come. We had our fun neighbor friends come though. Ross played with the balloons and then was really excited about his presents. His Great Grandma Staheli gave him a fun animal barn that spins and makes animal noises. His Uncle Dallas and aunt Janae gave him some fun stacking bowls that can also be connected together to turn into balls, and a rolling turtle. Auntie Rachel gave him a cute new outfit for summer, and Gramy and Grampa gave him some stacking towers, a book, cars, and a fun race track. He was in heaven!
| The Spread |
| Readying the Caterpillar! |
| Our Cake Pop Caterpillar! |
| We had fruit, cake, and ice cream. This is what the caterpillar ate Monday - 1 apple, Tuesday - 2 pears, Wednesday 3 plums, Thursday 4 Strawberries, and Friday - 5 oranges. |
| Can't wait for the party to start! |
| Steve's excited too! |
| The guests arrive. Our neighbors Jed, Jenning, and Mandy came to have some fun with us. |
| A few of the many presents Ross got! |
When it was time for the birthday cake - Ross had no problem touching it, and then once he got a taste of it - he was trying to shove as much cake in his mouth as he could fit! It was as if he knew I was going to take it away from him sooner than he wanted so he had to enjoy it all now. It was super fun.
| Sampling the texture |
| A little nibble before... |
| Complete destruction! |
| He also quite liked the cake pops |
| So sad it was gone |
| Knocking over some great new towers he got. |
| Playing with a nice turtle. |
| Visiting with the guests... |
| So Ross LOVES this CARS little racetrack Gramy and Grampa gave him. |
Afterwards we got some dinner and came home to catch Grampa, Grammy, and Ross all redhanded. Ross was supposed to be in bed by 8...and when we walked in the door at 8:45 - what were they all doing? Oh yes - playing with all the birthday toys still. I guess we can't blame gramy and grampa for wanting to spend time with a cute little grandson though can we?
The next day we went to church and I got a substitute for primary so I could go to Relief Society with my mom. It was really nice! I've missed Relief Society with always being in Primary. After church we headed to Tillamook to do some whale watching and go to the Cheese Factory - yes - for the 4th time. The cheese is still delicious though I must say. We enjoyed some cheese and ice cream at the Factory and then headed to Cape Meares - which is also a lookout point for whales. We didn't spot any whales, but the weather was pretty rainy so it wasn't very easy to see through the binoculars anyway. We came back home and skyped with the uncles and aunts that didn't get to come for Ross's party. My Grandma Staheli had had a bad fall out of her bed the night before my parents came and got terrible bruising all down the side of her face. She's getting better though and is now finally getting a second rail to keep her in her bed at night! We all pretty much went to bed after that. Skyping takes it out of you! ;)
| Watching the cheese workers |
| And of course some sampling! |
| Some intense searching for whales... |
| Not much to work with though! |
| Ross wasn't too thrilled to be protected from the rain. Note his lucky green leprechaun socks I forgot to have him wear for St. Patrick's Day. ;) |
Love love LOVE the birthday theme. SO cute! And I think my other favorite part of this post is Ross's cowlick sticking up in one of the pictures. He is SOOOO cute. You're probably getting sick of hearing this, but I miss you and am so excited to see you. Oh, and I can't remember the details of this are, but for some reason I was talking to a bunch of ladies in my ward and I thought of us laughing about ever wondering what would happen if suddenly we just started shouting obscenities in sacrament meeting. I laughed hard to myself as I realized I couldn't share that thought with those ladies because I was afraid they'd think I was a nutso. Luckily you know all about my nutsiness so we're good! Love you
ReplyDelete