It seems Ruby chipped a tooth somehow, sometime, somewhere. The details of that remain a mystery. Her top teeth aren't very visual when she talks or smiles so on a random day of inspection we noticed her top right tooth looked off. She thinks she's much faster than her legs will go and can be quite klutzy so - seriously - we have no idea when it happened.
I was pretty worried about the idea of taking the kids to the dentist. Ross is like a chameleon changing his views and willingness to cooperate with whatever whim of a mood he's in. I tried to set him up for success with getting a handful of books from the library and talking about a sweet prize he'll get if he lets the dentist look in his mouth. I was so worried...I forgot to even take a picture of his first trip!
Anyway - we found Ruby had ear infections (of course when I'm not even thinking about that - mostly just concerned for her cough - she would have ear infections...whenever I think my kids have them - they don't) and got her on an antibiotic.
We headed to the dentist - which a good friend recommended. I love pediatric dentists. Anyway - Ross was thrilled to find a train table with some awesome trains to play with. Ruby was into bothering a 10 year old boy trying to build something with blocks, and I got some peace and quiet to fill out all their forms. We headed to the back and Ross climbed right up in to the chair - excited to watch the movie they had on with the ear phones. Her truly looked so adorable laying so still and showed the assistant he knew how to open his mouth and say "awwwww". He was fascinated with the tools and was just perfect letting them look at everything and even clean his teeth. He was even more thrilled when he got a new Mater tooth brush, Buzz floss, AND to pick a prize from their treasure chest.
Ruby was less than compliant as I had to lay her back and hold her head still. Thankfully, it was a tiny chip and nothing needed to be done. Overall - a success at the dentist!
The next evening Ross started complaining about his ear - great. He had a semi-bad night ending up in our bed which led to ANOTHER doctor visit. The doc first thought he ruptured his eardrum but I had put olive oil to soften the ear wax and it was oozing. He got put on antibiotics too and we went home to try and get better...just in time for me to get sick with a gross cold and knock me out for a few days too.
![]() |
| Bubble Beards are the best! |
![]() |
| Cutie! |
Of course all this happened in time for me to leave to see the play Pride and Prejudice with my mom and sis. The plan was for Steve to stay with Ross so he could study and Ross could just chill and watch a movie before bed. I took Ruby with me to stay down in Utah County till the next morning when we came back.
The play was great - I was a bit disappointed with the scenery - but the script was fantastic. It was fun hanging out with my mom and sister too. Ruby slept really well too which was nice. I can't say the same for Steve and Ross. Steve went nuts. Ross was pretty miserable and complained about his ear the whole night with Steve trying to juggle studying and taking care of him.
Of course the next evening was Women's Conference which I had gotten tickets for! I did my best to have the kids all sorted for Steve to take care of and it went better than night. (I think it had something to with tender mercies from Heavenly Father.)
![]() |
| Hooray for Women's Conference! |
Women's Conference was wonderful. The Spirit was strong and my heart was touched many times and filled. It's funny you don't realize how empty your tank can be at times until you go to fill it again. I was especially happy to hear a sweet story about Ruby Haight (the apostle, Elder Haight's wife) where Ruby's name was inspired from. President Eyring talked about how she always smiled (just like our Ruby) and always found a sisterhood and stayed in touch with the young women she served even though she was so much older. It reconfirmed why we named our Ruby her name. I love names that come from somewhere or someone. It reminds me of in the Book of Mormon when Helaman is counseling his sons before they go to serve their missions - in 3 Nephi 5:6
"Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words. Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good."
It's always good to have a great example before you. President Eyring also talked about Eve and opened my eyes more with the importance of her role, decision, and example to us. She was a wonderful person.
After our amazing conference we went to a restaurant called The Dodo. I extremely and highly recommend this place. Their dessert menu is to die for and their food is so scrumptious! We had a great time talking and eating and my cup was filled in all areas.
Our kids finally got better by Sunday and we enjoyed attending our meetings at church. While the Sacrament was being prepared and they were laying the cloth over it. Ross turned to us and said, "They're wrapping Jesus up." which was sweet of him and surprisingly symbolic of how the Sacrament is prepared. Children have amazing simple insight. I love it. I got up to bare my testimony and Ross trotted on along behind me and when I finished he insisted it was his turn. I was amazed and proud he wanted to. He whispered it in the microphone since I was whispering in his ear. He was just jabbering at first until I decided he needed some guidance, and he shared he loved Heavenly Father and knew Jesus loved him and finished the end all by himself. :) He's pretty good at saying his personal prayers at night now too. :)
Ruby and Ross just keep getting bigger and older. They are so funny to watch together. Ross is having to learn more and more the importance of sharing...he prefers to hoard his toys in a big pile and guard them so Ruby can't get them. She thinks this is a great game and has found the wooden airplane we gave Ross that he painted and put together is the best one to try and thieve because Ross goes bounding after the second he realizes its gone. Her skills in dodging him have greatly improved too. He may be faster in the end since she's still working on running (she's still pretty quick though), but she can change directions on a dime. She lasts quite a while before he gets to her. Ross doesn't think it's so funny, but she sure does. :)
![]() |
| Ross's airplane he painted all himself and we put together! |
![]() |
| Ruby saying, "Cheese!" and waiting for Ross to put down his plane... |
![]() |
| Anytime now... |
Ruby is getting in to "pretty" things too. She loves my headbands and always wants them on (which she promptly takes off too) and as soon as it's fitted on she says, "Pretty" and then stops and poses while saying, "Cheese!" She just kills me.
![]() |
| This is her pose while she says, "Cheese!" |
![]() |
| Sporting the headband |
She also can count to three - she'll say, 'One, Two, Three, Weeee!" since we do a lot of that around here. ;) She loves her hippo and can say "hippo" when she wants it. She'll say, "hold you" "all done" "Hi, Baby!" (a favorite). She is ALWAYS jabbering at us. Nonstop - even to herself when she's in her bed. She can say so many things now and give us all sorts of commands. She loves to pretend she's a mom and her doll or animals are her babies and she's say, "Hi Baby! Hi Baby!" like I say to her when I get her up in the mornings or from her naps. She likes trying things by herself and even likes trying to draw with pens and crayons. She's hilarious and demanding and drama all wrapped in one in her happy self. She also prefers to eat grown up food from your spoon or plate. She'll eat bananas only if it's from the peel itself so she can take a bite or things she thinks would not be meant for her. Silly thing.
![]() |
| If the kids are up when Daddy has breakfast...he HAS to share... |
![]() |
| with EVERYONE - it's a rule. A fav is Cheerios with honey |
Ross has mastered his abc's uppercase and lowercase, colors, shapes, and numbers. His counting is going really well too. He likes drawing on the whiteboard or going outside to dig, look for worms or bugs, or ride his tricycle for a little bit (he still doesn't like to ride it for very long...hopefully warmer weather will change that). He loves reading and has become a little stinker at night. We hear him digging through his toy box in the dark and when he finally falls asleep I have to fish about a billion toys out of his bed. Lately he's gotten in to presenting with his arm and hand as he's trying to convince you of something. He'll hold his arm up high with his hand out like, "look at this great idea! or thing! You HAVE to go for it, because I'm presenting it to you on a pretend platter!" It's hilarious. He breaks my heart when he doesn't feel well or when he's hurting - he's such a sweet boy. I'm glad he's been feeling better - that we're all getting better.
![]() |
| Loves his Dusty - which has been relocated to his room now that birthday month is over. :) |
![]() |
| He is SO handsome! Love this kid! |
![]() |
| Ross kept telling me there was a D on his trike and I didn't get it for quite a while. Do you see it? :) |
![]() |
| Blackmail photo! He's deep in thought |
| Still love a kid in overalls :) |
Steve has been feeling like he's peering out the end of the tunnel finally and getting close to actually being finished. He likes this new rotation okay and is glad to have more time to study for boards (which he has been doing NONstop) I'll be glad not to be a single parent most of the day anymore when he's finally done. He's such a hard worker and we love him so much.
Whew! So hopefully our health will kick in and we can get going on fun things once again!





















No comments:
Post a Comment