Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Strawberry Jam and Lincoln City Kite Festival

So a rare treasure here that only shows up in the month of June is the Hood Strawberries....oh how I wish I could pass the taste of these strawberries onto you - they are AMAZING.  They don't travel well so they stick around here and they are only in season in June.  Of course since we've missed about half of June I went crazy as soon as we got back.... we bought two full flats of strawberries and went to town making strawberry jam (as well as eating every other strawberry while we de-stemmed them).  Very satisfied. :)

 

Saturday morning we decided to pack up and head for the kite festival in Lincoln City.  Since this is our last summer here we have some serious bucket list checking off to do.  The drive was an hour and forty five minutes which was chunk change compared to the 13 hour ordeal we dealt with last week. The drive was much prettier too.  We got to Lincoln City, fed Ruby, and hunted for a parking spot for about 45 minutes before we got out a third of a mile away. The view was breathtaking though and the day was gorgeous.  
 
Headin' in


This boy was ready for some kites!

We got there to find the wind was 1 mph....haha.  Of course - in Oregon - where it's ALWAYS windy on the coast, it's nothing but clear skies and zero wind when it's kite festival time.  There were a few kites up - which was impressive without any wind, but the big ones never left the sand unfortunately.  We thoroughly enjoyed the beach though.  Ross finally got over his fear of sand touching his feet after I threw him into the waves.  Then he never wanted to leave.  He dug in the sand, played in the waves, attempted to fly a kite (at least we have it as a souvenir), and played in the sand some more.  We soaked up the sun that felt so good and then meandered back to our car (it was a bit of a trek back up).  
No kites...and not so sure about the sand yet.

These were the only kites that made it up. :)

He's still not so sure about the sand.

Ruby took a cat nap

Almost sold on the sand now...

There were LOADS of people there - the most I've ever seen at a beach!

Trying to fly a kite. ;)

Chillin' with dad.

Daddy/Daughter time.

After feeding Ruby we went to Captain Dan's Pirate Pastry Shop  where I had the best Marionberry and Creamcheese Turnover ever!  Steve and I gobbled it up while Ross decided to snack on goldfish instead. :)  We went to J's Fish 'n Chips for dinner - also insanely delicious and headed home.  It was a perfect beach day - just sad we didn't get to see the awesome kites.  A lose-win situation I think.  All in all - success. :)
Steve LOVED this view. :)



Have I mentioned I love Oregon? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment