Monday, October 12, 2015

Enter Fall - Also, Ross got Glasses! And Ruby is Freed!


Coming back from our trip, we kind of had to just throw ourselves back in to life again.
 
Brothers hangin' out.


Ruby picked up a few phrases during her stay with Grandma and Grandpa - such as Grandma's "Whoa ho ho" s when something is cool.  Ruby saw a necklace I was wearing and said, "Whoa ho ho!  I like your necklace Mommy"  Hahaha.



Ross started right back in to soccer.  He had missed a couple games, but did AMAZINGLY his first one back - as in - he wasn't coming for drinks every 2 minutes, wandering around aimlessly, or trying to play with his fellow teammates.  He was actually running where the ball was and kicked it a few times.  We were quite proud. :)  He lasted until part way through his last quarter.  Kudos kid. Kudos.  I love watching him learning and trying this new stuff.  






Ross ALSO got glasses - insert story - 
 
And this boy wears these glasses like a stud!

SO after having a virtual bookclub on Google Hangout with some friends from my Oregonian days - all of them being the wives of optometrists - I realized I hadn't taken Ross or Ruby in for an eye exam at all in their young lives.  I figured we might as well get a well check.  

I took Ross in there thinking we'd just get our stamp of approval and leave, when the Dr. started saying things like, "Yeah, he's got a pretty decent stigmatism." and "he'll be needing to wear them all the time".  It hit me that Ross was actually going to need glasses.  He got his mother's bum eyes!!  And he's only 4!!  I had them when I was 8.  

I was pretty worried by the time his glasses came in that there was no way i was going to get him to wear them.  Cue bribery.  After a day or two of complaining they made him dizzy, with the promise of a one Chick Hicks toy from the movie Cars, he was sold on glasses, and even sometimes asks for them!  He's really good      at wearing them...now it's just taking care of them since he's already scratched them twice!  I must say - he looks so handsome with glasses - like he was meant for them!

In other news, we finally allowed Ruby to graduate from her crib fort!!  I only had to completely empty the room downstairs with nothing but her dresser, a chair, and her bed in it.  Now with NO toys in it, and us a lot closer to monitor her, she is a happy camper and at LEAST stays in her room if not her bed during naptime.  It works best if I read her a story while she's IN her bed before the whole saying good-night thing.  Hooray for Ruby being free!


Sometimes Ruby refuses to take naps...and then sometimes she randomly falls asleep.

Waking up in her new bed!!

CHEESE from a bedhead!










Both of us are happy campers now that she's in a big girl bed. :)

Also this boy is cute.

Really cute!

And he sure loves to chat!  He's extremely animated and totally into it. :)

And he loves taking baths with his brother and sis!

She also does a killer puppet show when we go to the library.  Her voice kills me. :)



Ruby helping Rowland experience the puppets at the library

She's a real master!

And this boy trying to figure out how to get that attachment off so he can suck on it.

General Conference was the weekend we got back.  It was so wonderful to hear the talks and counsel our church leaders have for us in our day and time.  I always feel uplifted, encouraged, and closer to my Savior Jesus Christ after listening to the Prophet and Apostles.  Our sweet neighbors came over for breakfast before (sidenote - I got this breakfast casserole recipe from my mother-in-law - it's SO easy and a total hit!  

8 shredded frozen hash brown potato patties
1/2 Cup margarine melted
1 Cup cubed pre-cooked ham (lunch meat is fine cut into small pieces)
1 Cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 Cup shredded swiss cheese
10-12 eggs
2 Cups milt
1/2 teaspoon salt

Place hash brown potato patties in greased 9X13 pan. Pour melted butter evenly over the surface of potato patties. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Sprinkle potatoes with ham and cheese. In a large bowl, beat eggs, Add milk and salt. Stir, Pour mixture over cheese and ham. Bake 350 for 35 minutes.)

and I made cinnamon rolls the night before.  Again - these cinnamon rolls are seriously the best.  I can only make them if I'm giving most of them away.  They are SOOOO good!

Anyway - off of food - onto spiritual food - our neighbors came over to check it out, and we had a wonderful experience with them.  (Their four children behaved a million times better than mine too - for the entire 2 hours!)  We've had a sweet missionary experience with them sharing our love for the Savior and the message of the restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  It was a wonderful weekend filled with the Spirit.  

By the afternoon session though - we were the only left in the fam still awake. (Disclaimer - Steve works so hard that it seems whenever he sits down - he pretty much falls asleep within 2 minutes anyway - we sure love him.)
 
A handsome, hardworking, husband - anyone have one of these?




And this boy just keeps rockin' the glasses! LOVE him!

We also managed a MUCH needed, very belated dentist visit.  

Ross got a bit nervous when he had to wait so long, tried to do x-rays with parts that wouldn't fit in his mouth (causing them to nix the whole thing anyway), and he had gotten a good look at all the tools the dentist uses and decided the dentist was NOT the place for him.  He finally at least let Dr. Mackey just look at his teeth (which we got a cavity in there too - BOO).  And we survived the experience.

Ross not very impressed wearing the x-ray blanket...

He REALLY wanted a prize so consented to Dr. Mackey just looking ONLY in his mouth.  Haha.

Mom, are we done yet?

Yep!

Ruby was ALL over being at the dentist.  She especially loved the rinser and sucker.  She even held them for the hygienist while she worked.  She opened and held her mouth open and pretty much complied in every way.  (How is it that it's always the OPPOSITE of who I think would be tricky at the dentist.)  Steve came out clean, and I (having had 4 years of no visits - I know, shame on me), came out with two cavities.  BLAH.  Oh well.

Ruby would happily be a model for these things for kids.  She loved every minute, and any time we walk in to the office for anything, she demands she gets her turn to have her teeth checked.


Holding the sucker for the hygienist.

We also went to the fun Homecoming game here in the Lamar for the high school.  The kids loved it and loved having the free popcorn that came with it.  We had a blast.  

Go Savages and hooray for popcorn!



Don't you watch Christmas shows during Halloween season??  (Ruby's favorite)

Stake Conference was that weekend too.  We went to our meetings, went to Golden Corral - where I later found out Ruby downed THREE cotton candy sticks and about 20 marshmallows. Sheesh! - swam in the pool, got to church late the next morning and were banned to the Primary room to listen.  Ross took on the role of conducting and Ruby took care of the music. ;)  We go to Garden City, KS for our Stake Conference which is 2 hours away - and in another state WITH a time change.  It's kind of crazy that way.
 
Ruby is leading the music while Ross speaks to us about Jesus. ;)  While we listen to the real conference through the speakers.



We did some playing at the park, and lots of our regular things.  AND Grammy Joanne did her traditional amazing sending of Halloween PJs.  The kids looked adorable in them as well.  

Cute bug

No mom, I don't know where my sock is for the 20th time!!

Every baby should be a pumpkin for Halloween at some point.  This one's pretty cute too.


One with Ross's silly eyes :)


And one with Ruby's

A cute Punkin' :)

A Ghost Kitty :)

And a spider!

Also matching Halloween shirts of course!

AND Rowly started doing some actual crawling on us - oh dear.  See for yourself. ;)


That and we got our our Halloween decorations.  We are ready to Halloween it up!  Now it's time to start making our costumes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment