Monday, August 24, 2015

STARTING School 2015...None of This BACK to School Stuff

Ross is officially, professionally, unequivocally now in the world of schooling.  The teacher side of me is jumping for joy with how fun it's going to be for him.  The mother side of me is running around sobbing about what happened to her baby boy, and mourning every day he gets older and bigger.  No wonder mothers cry all the time when they go to their children's first day of school.  We're crazy, emotional basket cases!

To stop me from putting on my black dress and mourning the rest of my life, I copied to the letter  borrowed my friend, Jana's, idea for a dinner party.  (Who can pass up a good dinner party idea I'd like to know.) 

I covered our table with rolled paper from our IKea easel, and taped it to our table as our tablecloth to draw on with our crayons, made and put up school decorations (insert teacher nerdy giggle), set the table places, and had fruit kabobs, corn on the cob, and grilled cheese (done the most delicious way - seriously - I always make them this way now), IBC rootbeer with straws, and Smarties to remind them they're smart!









Can you tell which fruit Ross prefers????

LOVE this sweetie - even with the crazy hair. :)




Ross was extremely excited for the party.  During dinner we discussed what fun things he will do in preschool, our own memories from preschool (I had Mrs. Walls, and loved the Little People Fisher Price Airplane - we didn't have it at my house, snack time, singing songs, and laughing at my friend Michael and playing with BJ and Holly - and coloring.  I would also wait on her porch with everyone while all the parents drove her HUGE U shaped driveway to pick us up.  Steve had Mrs. Maxwell and liked playing on the playground in the backyard.)  When Ross was asked what he was excited for - it was playing with the toys of course - getting some serious playing in.  Of course - haha.  





I love that Ruby and I are making the same face! ;) Like mother like daughter right? :)


Steve enjoying his rootbeer and Rowland trying to figure out how to have some too...
The aftermath

Afterwards, we had a Family Night Lesson about Priesthood Blessings, and Steve gave both Ross and Ruby their first blessings for school.  My soul warmed when I looked up to see Ross sitting on the stool, with his arms folded, eyes closed, and a reverent smile on his lips, holding perfectly still.  It was a beautiful blessing reminding Ross of his strengths and confidence, and encouraging him in his learning and making new friends.  Ruby wanted one too, of course, and was given a blessing of health, and encouraged in her learning and obedience.  She held SO still for it as well (which is a miracle for this girl).  It was a wonderful Family Home Evening.

At the end, The Magic School Bus left a present to remind Ross and Ruby to try their best and not worry about the rest, and to be colorful, trying new things this year.  They scored some new paints and a treat.  Woot woot!  It was a very successful dinner party/Family Night.



Today this boy started school.  He was SO excited and couldn't wait to get there.  Me - on the other hand - I was dragging my feet, not wanting to let him go.  I made a big scene deal taking his picture (mooching ANOTHER idea of him wearing this shirt for his first day of school every year), and walking him in to his class.  He didn't even bat an eye at me leaving.  Ruby moaned all the way to the car - mostly sad she couldn't stay too (I'm not sure I could take that as well!) and I felt a little lost going home without him.  
 
So I saw a friend post a picture of her little guy with a "Class of 2028" shirt on and about died and went to cuteness.  I, of course, had to mooch the idea and do it myself. :)


I can't imagine this boy being big enough to fill out this shirt!! (Also Ross's fingers by his eyes help them from getting the sun in them apparently.  It was pretty bright today.)

Another "Sun in my eyes" picture - ready for Pre-school!


Get going mom!

Walking in... (yes - I'm that mom)


Picture with his teacher, Mrs. Forbes.  Ross kept looking over at the toys worried someone was going to come take them. Haha.


When the time came to pick him up - he was a bursting little bee so excited about his day and everything he did.  His favorite part was, of course, playing with the toys, and they read one of my favorites - The Kissing Hand (I read that to my students every year when I taught school too).  It was pretty much a success.  Now I wonder if he realized he'll be going back the rest of the school year. ;)

How did he grow up so fast?  This boy is such a WONDERFUL firstborn to have.  He is sweet - that is the first thing I think of with him - he is a SWEET boy, he wants to be obedient, doesn't like seeing people unhappy, is an AMAZING responsible older brother - he takes that pretty seriously, he ADORES Rowland, loves playing chase with Ruby, loves to hoard toys - and can never have enough of them, loves counting things, playing Memory, playing airplanes or trains, hide-and-seek.  He wants to be independent with some things, but thinks he needs help with others.  He's my good eater - is motivated to eat what he thinks is gross so he can get to the treat after.  He loves wrestling his Daddy, the colors green and blue, reading books with mom, dad, grandmas and grandpas.  He likes watching Octonauts, Wild Kratts, and Big Hero 6.  He enjoys getting up in front of people if they're listening to what he has to say.  He is my sweet baby boy all grown up.  Love him!    

No comments:

Post a Comment