Wednesday, May 6, 2015

San Antonio - Well Hello There

I was really excited to go to San Antonio with Stephen for multiple reasons:
  • I would get to check Texas off my list of visiting states
  • The humidity - I've missed you - beautiful dewy air!
  • Having just one cute stinker to take care of for a few days (still missed my other two).
  • Time to CHILL and do a whole lot of what I wanted to do!
  • Be with Stephen for his birthday and check out the fun parts of San Antonio.
 We left Ross and Ruby in the extremely capable hands of Grandmas and Grandpas - one convenient thing of having our families live so close to each other - they could split the time watching our very energetic kids. :)  I won't hesitate to say they were spoiled with love, attention, food, and games.  I wasn't worried one bit being away from them - other than all the detoxing I would have to do afterwards as the mean mom who makes you eat vegetables, take naps, and not get your way all the time.  Every kid needs grandparents though to give in to all the fun stuff. :)

Our flight with Rowland was pretty smooth.  Being so small, he was pretty content hanging out on our laps.  He's been a tricky eater though, so I had to pump bottles for him so he wouldn't fight me eating in public under the nursing cover.  We rolled in to our hotel around 9 that night and had a very comfy suite - I've decided I like tagging along on business trips. :)

First Plane Flight!  Not sure what to think obviously. ;)

The next day Steve headed off to his Wound Car Conference, and I was left to my beautiful self and a beautiful baby!  We of course spent the first part of the morning relaxing and BOTH (yes - BOTH) of us taking a morning nap.  LOVED it.  I also followed that with snuggling my little guy and then taking a nice long shower.  Afterwards, little Rowly and I ventured out to check out the amazing Riverwalk and enjoy the nice, refreshing humidity!
 
Made these INSANELY delicious cinnamon rolls before headin' to Texas.



One of Steve's classes - pretty posh.  They fed him well too!

The booths

Who wouldn't want to spend some one on one time with this smiley guy?!

Two peas in a pod - headed out. :)  Rowland liked the Moby for a little bit, then would fall asleep, and then insist on being face out afterwards. 

Stephen got done in time to go for his birthday dinner since it was his actual birthday.  We went to Maria Mia and had some crazy good Mexican food and fried ice cream for dessert!  I surprised Steve and got him pre-showing tickets to the new Avengers movie.  I didn't realize the tickets I bought were actually for a theater of recliners!  It was SO nice.  Rowland was just fed, we wrapped him up and just laid back on the recliner and enjoyed an epic movie.  Rowland did get the cute baby sigh sounds going for a little while, but slept the whole time!  Extremely fun. :)
 
My sister, Rachel's dream store!


Our first restaurant of the trip. :)

The Riverwalk right outside the restaurant


The smarty pants birthday boy. :)

The next day was another relaxing morning followed by checking out the Alamo with Steve who had some time at lunch!  Another fun thing to do - though we were both surprised how the Alamo held up so long during to the battle considering it is so small!  It was really fascinating and inspiring knowing those Texans sacrificed their lives in the name of freedom.  
 
The San Antonio Trio at the Alamo






Steve headed back to his conference and I strolled back home, stopping at some shops and having some great pizza and gelato for lunch.  Did I mention the saying, "Everything's bigger in Texas" rang true for what was happening to me with all the delicious food.

That evening Steve and I took a boat ride on the Riverwalk and had some Tex-Mex for dinner.  Very cool.



Getting some Tex Mex on the Riverwalk




We have seen all three space needles in the U.S. How's THAT Jack! :)

Saturday I walked to the Mexican Market and got a few souvenirs.  I ate at the Mi Tierra Cafe and Bakery - SO SO good.  I just got their taco salad and it was incredible - and their bakery - oh so good.  Rowland and I strolled back for his nap and I read one of my books I brought - seriously - so nice!






This boy is just too too cute :)

That night we chilled in our hotel and I grabbed some Italian for dinner.  

Sunday, since I had no car to get to our nearest church, I spent the morning listening to General Conference and then taking Rowland on a nice walk on the Riverwalk one more time.  


My head looks GIANT compared to Rowly.  Goofy.


Steve finished his classes, and we headed to the airport where we had a terribly long layover, but Rowland hung in there, and we just ended up getting home about 3AM.  It was a great trip though!

Entertaining ourselves during the delayed flight. :)

We got to spend the next couple days with my family which was nice.  We did a bit of quick shopping around, having a yummy bbq (my dad makes THE BEST BBQ) and then Ruby decided to get sick all night long to squeeze in one more day in Utah.

We relaxed, did laundry, packed, and tried to enjoy the rest of our time there.   The trip home went reasonably well stopping for breakfast and lunch at Playplaces for our kids to run around.  We just about outran a crazy storm, but got hit the last 30 minutes of our drive...which was also when our car randomly powered down....after a few minutes of shutting it off it started up fine, but with low tire air pressure.  
 
Our crazy storm we thought we had outrun...not so!


Turned out okay in the end. :)

We made it home with only getting hit by some decent sized hail for the last few minutes.  Overall it was a fabulous trip.  Two weeks and Steve only had to take off two days of it!  We miss everyone like crazy.  Utah always draws us back - a very happy holiday.     


No comments:

Post a Comment