Sunday, December 1, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving - the Return of the Plague

Well our fun and exciting Thanksgiving week was held hostage for a few days.  Ross and Ruby got hit HARD with a visit from Mr. Plague himself.  Ross already met him his first Christmas (and we were introduced to him shortly thereafter).  I guess he wanted to have a pre-Christmas party so he showed up Monday night out of nowhere.  Ross was settling down reading a book with dad in the rocker when I heard a desperate cry for help come from the room.  Steve had been hit with a souvenir from the plague that Ross was trying to share.  Steve and I went into tag team mode and got Ross, bathed, and into round two of pj's.  We thought maybe it was just something he ate...until I was getting Ruby all settled down in her room.  NOT to be!  Her plague souvenir went a bit farther than just all over my shirt - it showered all over her room.  She got a bath herself with her 2nd set of pj's.  We decided to take everyone downstairs and just watch them to make sure they were okay.  

The kids were banned to the floor while the vomit raging period was happening.  Ross and Ruby were having Indian leg wars in between puking.

Needless to say - there were a few more rounds of pj's that were went through, plenty of spots of carpet cleaned, and bowls that were washed out.  The running total for Ross added up to 9 vomits, and Ruby was close behind him with 8.  It was CRAZY.  Everything was normal that night until about 7:30 and then it was pretty intense until 11:30.  After that everyone passed out asleep for the rest of the night.  Ruby was shocking.  After her third round of vomiting.  She just would snuggle into me and lay perfectly still.  She NEVER does that and with all the misery happening around us, I soaked in that time snuggling with her while I could.  
Mom on snuggle/comfort duty.

As you can see Ruby ruined another outfit thus losing the privilege of clothes until her stomach could be trusted.  Ross shortly after lost the privilege of his pjs as well.

The next day I found out from facebook that TONS of people from church got hit with the plague too.  He was party hopping for sure that little disease.  I kept checking to see who else was falling to his power - everyone was dropping like flies.  Ross and Rubes were both over the worst of it, but pretty wiped out.  Ruby bounced back quite quickly while Ross took another day to get back to normal.  Poor guy actually had just had an ear infection that was bothering him and was only starting to get better.  He needed a little longer to recuperate...

Just in time for me to get hit by the plague and join the masses.  I kept trying to convince myself it was just something I ate that made me feel a little unsettled.  And then it came like a tornado.  I was out from 11 that morning until 8 that night.  I kept my stomach together for the most part, but I felt like death for the last 5 hours, and when it finally let me I was aching all over.  Not a very nice visit from the plague by any means.  

Steve survived the attack amazingly.  I guess there has to be one to live to tell the tale.  Thankfully he was home the day I got hit and took care of the kids for the most part.  Moms should NEVER be allowed to get sick.  It just isn't fair.

Amazingly, we all had recovered just in time for Thanksgiving!  Woot Woot!  I had to cram all my baking in that morning since I didn't have the stomach for it the day before.  I made a cream cheese pumpkin pie, which wasn't pretty, but was quite delicious, some homemade rolls, and an Olive Garden salad.  We all met up at our friends', the Howards and enjoyed a lovely feast with them along with the Jaggis, Appels, Alletos, Steenbliks, and the Woods.  We all had little kids so it was pretty crazy, but we all felt quite at home.  

The kids playing up a storm.

Everyone trying to fend off the turkey coma

We feasted, went home and threw kids in bed for naps, had them wake up with melt downs, calmed down, and went back for pie and games.  We were quite satisfied in the end!
Steve sneaking in a cat nap while waiting for Ross's melt down to cool off.

Rubes and mom ready for pie!

That is until the next day when we realized we didn't have all the leftovers we're used to when we would cook our own turkey.  Steve is determined to cook our own turkey - which, in my craving for leftovers, I will probably support.  So we may be having Thanksgiving round 2 this week in the midst of all our packing. 

Until then - Happy Thanksgiving and Surviving the Plague!    
We're alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment