Thursday, December 11, 2014

Some Christmas Fun

So after finally getting unpacked and coming back after our sneaky Thanksgiving trip, I got right on to decorating for Christmas.  Last year I was grinched in the most unfair way possible - since we moved back to Utah from Oregon about 5 days before Christmas.  I was determined to enjoy it more fully this year.

Ross and Ruby loved opening my big tubs of decorations and taking everything out while I fretted over where to put everything - I am NOT a decorator.  It takes me WAY too long to decide what goes where and how it should look.  Anyway - we put everything up and began to feel a bit more Christmas-y.  

We found out our little town does a Christmas Light Parade (just like the one in Oregon) so we showed up to Main Street and loved every second - especially since it wasn't freezing - just nippy.  Ross yelled for every car or float that came by - since we live in a farming area there were a good handful of tractors all decked out - even a bulldozer that barely fit on the road.  It was Ross's dream come true.  They threw out lots of candy, but Ross was content with two suckers, tried a peppermint stick but handed it to me after one lick.  
 
Totally excited and blinded by the flash!


Ruby really is happy I promise. :)  She loved it too - especially when one of our friends shared his hot chocolate with her. ;)



Mater even made an appearance!
Ruby is obsessed with snowmen (and boots) and died when she saw this - she always demands the songs Frosty the Snowman (which I still haven't learned all the words to) and Once There Was a Snowman.


An awesome Christmas tractor


After the half hour parade (I love short parades) we walked over to the "Enchanted Forest" where Santa was hanging out with an insanely long line, so we decided to take a free train ride instead.  This video will illustrate how smooth that went.  
 





We've made some paper chains, picked out our Christmas tree (not as fun as when we were in Oregon cutting our own, getting free s'mores and hot chocolate - we picked it up outside Walmart - the only place selling real trees that we could find - we're in the Great Plains - I understand real Christmas trees are scarce), decorated it including making our traditional shrinky dink ornaments, put up our lights, and have been playing Christmas music galore - funny how happy that can make a person. :) 
 
Ruby just can't decide which ornament should go where so she is (still) constantly pulling them off and trying to put them back on.




Ross putting the star on - the best part.

I love glowy Christmas trees - also it smells incredible!
Waiting for Shrinky Dinks to bake.

Ross and I made ours too big so they melted together when they were trying to shrink - whoops!  Ross's was an airplane and mine a prego self portrait with baby bee #3.  Ruby has a boot on hers - because she wears them constantly.  Steve's is of a windmill - they have loads of them out here!

Christmas countdown (oh and Santa Elf - as Ross called him - is watching.

So I sewed an advent calendar from a kit I bought - I was pretty impressed with how it turned out - especially with how dumb I am in the sewing department - oh - and the 1 on the 14 fell off - don't worry - I caught that. ;)

Ross and Ruby love reaching in the pockets and pulling out our instructions for the day. :)

Stockings plus our chains. :)


In their Christmas Jammies ;)

I love these faces :)

Cuties :)



 Here are some tunes brought to you by Ross and Ruby - so funny :)



Cozy Christmas moment watching The Grinch - Ross and Ruby won't stop asking me why he's so grumpy all the time - haha.

For some reason, I have felt panicky that things will not get done in time for Christmas and I won't get to enjoy any of it.  Maybe because it's coupled with me being so pregnant and tired all the time.  All our little traditions seem like they've been jam packed - but really - we're just fine.  I finally had a moment last night when Steve was out with the missionaries and I had the kids in their Christmas pajamas from Grammy Joanne, watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas with just our Christmas lights on where the fun came back to me, and then most of all, remembering what this whole holiday is all about. :)  I'm so thankful for the birth of Jesus Christ - what a miracle and gift He is to us.    He is the reason for the season. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment