Claudia convinced me to come with the kids to hike Stewart Falls. It's not a bad hike, steep at the beginning and end, but fairly level all through the middle. The tricky part is having a toddler who doesn't like being held, wants to walk, and would happily walk off the mountain or hang out digging through dirt and rocks. Also - a three year old who thinks his legs don't work and requires being carried as well. Okay - I'll give Ross credit - he walked the first quarter of the hike, but was pretty much done the rest of it.
My old glory days as an Aspen Grove camp counselor kicked in as I remembered where we'd start our hike (since I did it every week the summer I worked there with 40 eleven and twelve year old kids). I love Aspen Grove. I have such wonderful memories of that summer. It's so gorgeous being up there in the mountains.
We sang Winnie the Pooh songs to entertain Ruby (have I mentioned she's recently become completely obsessed with that little movie? She walks around dancing and singing "Winnie a Poop, Winnie a Poop" all the time along with "Up, down touch a ground" or "Hooway fo you, Hooway fo me" She LOVES it). Pretty sure if we didn't have Michael or his friend Isa to carry my children after a while I would have just sat down in the middle of the trail and cried. Bless them.
The falls were beautiful. Isa was in awe of it since he'd never seen one in person before. :) Ross loved throwing rocks in the stream the whole time, and Ruby sat with me (for once) and polished off two apples. The mist from the falls felt fabulous since we had gotten there about 12:30.
![]() |
| We made it! |
![]() |
| My cute kiddos! |
![]() |
![]() |
| Stewart Falls |
![]() |
| Rubes loves biting the apple right off the core |
![]() |
| Ross really wanted to get in that water. |
![]() |
| Rocks ready to throw |
The way back was roasting hot and Ruby was MORE than ready for a nap. By the end my kids looked like dirty orphans from kicking up the dirt and playing in it. They were sure cute though. Amazingly they didn't fall asleep in the car on the way back, but Rubes went down for a nap quite hard when we got home. We definitely wore them out.
I've learned we need a backpack to put Rubes in...and to teach Ross that he has legs he can use. :) Fun day though. :)
In other news, the sandbox has been put in and thoroughly enjoyed as well as some pool time in preparation for Hawaii. I refused to be fried crispy the first week we're there!
![]() |
| The sand! |
![]() |
| Happy Kid :) |
![]() |
| He's always begging to go outside to dig :) |
![]() |
| Ruby practicing the Downward Dog pose ;) |
![]() |
| Bah! |
![]() |
| Playin' in the water! |
![]() |
| Water guns are awesome |
![]() |
| This girl is gorgeous - seriously |
![]() |
| This girl has gotten into sunglasses baby! Attitude and all :) |
![]() |
| A boy and his dragon - Mapleton Elementary - Steve's and my old stomping grounds. Ross tells me he's going to go to school here. :) |























No comments:
Post a Comment