Monday, November 11, 2013

Thirty, Flirty, and Thriving!

Well it happened...nothing quite earth shattering outwardly...but maybe inwardly.  The big 3-0 happened to me today.  Steve thinks I'm just silly, but it's because he's still enjoying the fruits of the 20's.  I've approached middle aged...but to introduce myself to it, it all started with a delicious breakfast in bed by my deliciously hot husband, Stephen.  An omelet with homemade salsa, tortilla, and strawberries.  It was - oh - so good.  I also got to get a shower in BEFORE the kids got up.  This made me feel 10 years younger in and of itself.  
Ahhh - it feels good to be showered and teeth brushed!
I decided being 30 meant I was going to go for some new goals...like a clean house.  So that's what Ross and I while Ruby crawled around trying to help.  The end result was everything I hoped for.  The other nice thing today was how gorgeous the weather was outside, we spent a good part of the morning out with friends, soaking up the sun, chatting, looking for worms, and digging in the dirt while eating pretzels.  Fabulous.

The kids ate their lunches well and settled down perfectly for their naps.  I enjoyed some me time finishing up my clean house in time for Steve to come home and start the set up for a little cake and ice cream get together.  

He took me and the kids to Red Robin for dinner which was also fabulous since I got to order my favorite drink - the freckled lemonade.  That never gets old.  Their bruschetta chicken sandwich is the other item I'm always pining for.  Ross and Rubes did splendidly and we got home just in time for some friends to arrive and hang out and have some cake.  The kids ran wild with balloons (only two popped which was miraculous) and the rest of us talked over all the commotion.  
 
That's A LOT of candles - Steve made the cake from scratch - it was delish!

 



To end the first day of my 30's, Steve showed me my present I get to pick out - a brand new bike!  Woot woot!  He's been building up this present for the last six months - it has literally driven me crazy with how much he's bragged about it - how good it was going to be and how he couldn't wait to give it to me...for six months he's said this.  The funny part is - I had not a clue, but kept mentioning to Steve over the last few months how we need to get bikes so Ross will be more into bike riding (and it would be good for us).  I'm so excited!  We just have to make sure we don't move somewhere with ridiculous hills...like from my mission in England hills.  
 
Can you imagine biking up these babies?  WITH two babies.

I've been dreading this big 3-0 age, but I've gotten some hope from friends who are already in their 30's.  They are amazing, beautiful, and still seem so young to me.  Here's to following suit my friends - here's to following suit. :)

SO - here are thirty things about me you may or may not know...

1)I have a no-mess-around laugh...I've been told I may be located easily when I'm laughing.
2)I hate - let me emphasize - HATE - being hot - any rationalizing with me is no longer possible when my temperature is messed with.
3) I get passionate about things and push encourage people to follow my suggestions on certain things such as items to choose at a restaurant, hairdressers, books to read, movies to watch, photographers to choose.  If I love something - I'm all in.
4) I have had gas permeable contacts since I was 10 years old...I am now attempting to switch to soft lenses.
5)I prefer sleeping on my side curled up in the fetal position.
6)I sing ridiculous songs to Ruby during breakfast/lunchtime to distract her enough to feed her rather than her playing with her food.
7) My favorite feature about myself is currently my hair.
8)I consistently fall asleep in bed while trying to read books I've been excited to get to all day long.
9) My favorite movie is Joe vs. the Volcano...it NEVER gets old.
10) I converted to listening to Christmas music in November instead of December on my mission when my companion and I were sick in bed for three days and could not STAND any more of our other music.
11) I can't handle having my fingernails painted - I just pick at it till it's all chipped off.
12) I'd like to get good at photography but never seem to find the time to find out how.
13) My favorite way to eat oreos is in a cup with milk poured over them - cereal style...it's been an awfully long time since I've had those babies.
14) I once was an incredibly journal writer - getting married threw a wrench in the trend.  I have 15+ journals documenting mostly embarrassing truths about my life.  They may only be read by my children after I'm dead.
15) I love playing the piano, but never seem to do it as much as I'd like, because I'm used to practicing when I'm alone...ask me how often that happens these days. ;)
16) I still do cartwheels and handstands to the delight of my children (hey - cheap entertainment is still entertainment) - my body definitely feels different doing them AFTER bearing children.
17) I get extremely upset if anything sad EVER happens to children or babies...I can't handle it after having my own.
18) While skyping with family I like to use my fingers right up close to the camera to look like they're pinching my husband's head off...or driving one of Ross's cars close up past the camera and laugh my head off...I'm totally mature like that.
17) I like to wear socks to sleep in, but never seem to wake up in the morning with them on.
18) My favorite scripture is Doctrine and Covenants 88:63 "Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you."
19) My husband and I have a secret, yet absurd, sign to do to each other when we find that we're talking to much in a group....yes - we talk too much.
20) My ears ALWAYS perk up whenever I hear ANYTHING about England mentioned.
21) I made Ross tell me Happy Birthday all day long today...he happily complied all day long - sweet kid.
22) I'm a Rascal Flatts fan through and through.
23) My wardrobe currently consists of solid colored attire and striped attire...I just noticed this a few weeks ago...I'm not a brancher outer when it comes to clothes - I don't have a defined style enough to do it.
24) I thought about cutting my hair short for the first time literally a day before I actually did it.
25) I get on binging bursts with sewing and then don't do anymore for months.
26) I can't properly go to bed without washing my face, brushing my teeth, and putting my retainer in (like a teenager)...you know that part on Date Night?  That's me.
27) I actually like organizing and sorting Ross's toys and books...even though they get mixed up and strewn around the house five minutes later...it's so weird.   
28) I always prefer baked goods over candy or any other goodie - and I always crave them - which is always bad.
29) I would be extremely good at eating healthy all the time if someone else did the cooking.
30) I am ALWAYS a sucker for flowers - the cliche generic roses - they make me so happy, and thankfully Steve has set aside his feeling of not understanding why and gets them for me on special occasions.
Thirty, Flirty and Thriving!

Here's to the big 3-0!

1 comment:

  1. Awww, happy birthday. 30 isn't so bad until I think about how in 10 years I'll be 40.

    And I tried switching over to soft lenses last year and couldn't do it. RGP may be hard on the eyes but I like having crystal clear vision. Let me know how it works for you.

    And your haircut is soooo cute. After I have this baby and all my hair falls out again, I'm looking to your cut for inspiration.

    ReplyDelete