Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy 4th of July 2013!

The 4th of July was filled with all the things a decent Independence Day should be filled with: parades, sunburns, candy, naps, BBQs, homemade rootbeer, and fireworks.  You go America...you go.  
The fam of four - Steve tried to wear a yellow shirt...who wears a yellow shirt on the 4th of July?!!  Okay - maybe that guy in the background...but we are a patriotic family! :)

We went for a round two of the Hillsboro 4th of July parade this year.  I was really tempted to go to Seaside for the festivities, but my disdain for the traffic that would have been involved outweighed the pluses.  I decided in my mind that we will come back one year for a 4th of July and spend it on the Oregon coast - and it will be lovely.  I'm already excited for it.  Okay - back to Hillsboro.  We got there just after it started and squeezed our way in with our good ol' optometry peeps and settled on in.  Ross was immediately mesmerized by each and every car/truck/tractor/float.  Every time one would pass he'd turn to look at me and say, "Anodder one!"....EVERY time.  It was extremely adorable.  
 
He won't even take his eyes of the parade for a second...and my hair looks extremely long here...hmmmm.


A boy seeing a tractor - visualizing being that man driving it - a dream to come true someday?

This little beauty was supposed to be taking a nap (I know - during a parade - I should have thought for like a second if that would have really been a possibility.)

The Rosarians representing - love it here in Oregon.

Steve socializing in the back with Rubes.  I actually served my mission with Oliver here!  Small world right?

Some sweet airplane balloons.

THIS is the way to do a parade...seriously!

There were lots of religious floats again - even the rock music one - the missionaries from our church were even in it!  I, of course, didn't get a picture because I was cheering the whole time. :)

Yeah for people's obsessions. :) 


A helicopter car...Ross's dream.

My patriotic boy!  I die for little boys in baseball hats...it's so stinkin' cute!

Ruby enjoying the festivities.  This is her camera face...she wants to know what this black thing is trying to do.  Also - I love her sunhat. :)

He loved seeing everything...until the end.  There were two enormous blasts - one from a horn and the other an engine revving.  I was holding Ruby at the time - she jolted, but kept her cool.  I laughed and turned to my friend, Kristen, and started to tell her how Ross bawled his way through his first 4th of July parade because of all the loud noises...only to turn around and see him crying his poor little eyes out again from how loud the noises were.  Oh my sweet, sensitive Ross - how I love you, you sweet boy.  Ruby seems to enjoy the lemonade in life a little more than Ross when life hands her lemons.  Ross doesn't really forget the lemons...he seems to suck on them a bit longer than necessary.  We love them both all the same. :)

After the parade we were tempted to join our friends at the splash park...but our small children need naps...or we all pay.  So we headed home, ate some lunch on a picnic blanket outside of the kitchen, and then all settled down for some much needed rest.  The sister missionaries came over for a bit to visit - always always a happy surprise, and then I got to get a nap in too - woot woot!  We had a BBQ at 5 in our apt complex.  Steve was extremely excited to BBQ steaks and we enjoyed a potluck of sides - and our personal favorite - homemade rootbeer.  Seriously - that stuff is incredible.  I suppose when you combine rootbeer extract with 5lbs of sugar...of course you're going to love it. Haha.  Ross enjoyed steak as well (he's a high roller when it comes to meats) and then seemed to sneak just about every sweet of the table possible - oh well - it's the 4th of July right?!  
 
Watermelon is a must...especially with it dripping down your face and shirt.


I love this random picture :)

The Blancos BBQing it up with their cute new addition too :)

My patriotic girl

Some more socializing and refilling of homemade rootbeer...mmmmm

Cutie

Accepting accountability for his popcorn ball right AFTER a rice crispy treat...I LOVE this face.

He has no eaters remorse whatsoever...I wish I had that freedom after eating too much dessert. :)

Afterwards we chilled and waited to head out to the fireworks.  Ross got it super good that day, because we let him stay up watching The Magic School Bus (oh the sentimental days) until we left for the show.  We slipped Ruby into her carseat where she thankfully stayed asleep, and showed up at the school for the show.  We ran into our friends, the Jaggis, and met up with the Listers and Hughes.  Ross was wide awake throughout all of this.  Jack, Ross's little friend, was dead asleep since he had opted out of a nap that day.  His dad pretty much had to shake him awake to get him to see the fireworks.  Ross shouted "Whoa!" after every firework...he has a thing for commentary during events I've decided.  Again - it was adorable!  
 
Ross captivated regardless of the insanely bright flash in his face.


Hooray for fireworks!  Ruby slept THE entire time...amazing



Blinding the Jaggis

Jack fading

The Hughes and the Listers

Ross's face is classic.



About 40 minutes into it, Ross decided he was "all done" with the fireworks and made me cover his eyes so he could relax I guess.  He then proceeded to cover his head with the blanket and attempt to go to sleep - which didn't happen.  
 
Ross has checked out.


Steve - dealing with the flash haha

Afterwards we chatted with our friends for a bit and then headed home.  Ross didn't get to bed until 11:30!  He didn't even fall asleep in the car.  That kid!  He woke up the next day at 9 too...silly boy. It was a fabulous 4th of July to say the least.  Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment