Steve’s birthday this year wasn’t quite the usual birthday
he’s enjoyed in the past. We didn’t
officially celebrate it until the 2nd when he was officially done
with school…officially. You see Steve’s
actual birthday just happened to fall on the same day as the monstrous Dr.
Jopst test…yes – the real name of the class has no significance to this test –
it’s the professor that makes this test what it is. Just coming from the bystander – the simple
wife of the victim – I would describe this professor as being terribly brilliant. Any question someone may have about the
Physical Therapy world could ask her and get their answer. From what I’ve heard – she knows everything
about everything in every class required in the graduate program…which of
course extends into her exams. Again,
from what I’ve gathered from Steve, the questions can get down to the very
scrawny last detail as to whether you would be correct or incorrect in your
answer. Hopefully that gave you a taste
of what kind of craziness Steve was going through to be prepared for his
test.
Back to his birthday – that morning I baked him some
blueberry coconut muffins to do a mini celebration (note – do not put wax
candles in muffins right after you pull them out of the oven…they will
melt). We sent Steve off to his doomsday
test. He returned to us quite deflated –
feeling quite unsure as to whether he had passed or not. The
problem with graduate school – at least this one – is if you fail a test – you have
a huge chance of failing the class…which is not acceptable…which requires you to
redo the semester over again the next year – thus wasting $50,000 for
tuition. This is what makes graduate
school so scary! Steve didn’t even let
me make him a cake that night…so I made him banana bread instead…I have learned
recently that there is something with men and banana bread. I have yet to meet a man who doesn’t prefer
banana bread over many other baked goods. I think maybe the banana bread, some serious
prayers, and doing well on his next exam made him feel a bit better. He had emailed his professor to see what his
score was, and when she emailed him back – he found out he had gotten an A-! I think if Steve would have known how to do
cartwheels he would have done them around the room! Heavenly Father sure watches out for us –
this I know.
Needless to say – I made Steve the dinner of his life –
Italian Pork, broccoli, and Macaroni Grill style rosemary bread. And a chocolate cake with chocolate
frosting! He got some new clothes for
his internship he has this month from his parents and mine. Ross and I gave him some popsicles (he’s a
serious addict when it comes to those) gum, the Wolverine movie, and – my favorite
- a water proof deck of cards for
playing killer spoons in the pool! He
was super excited. So in the end he did
have a GREAT birthday. 26! He’s got a lot under his belt for being that
young! Happy Birthday Steve!
That sounds like a crazy hard test! You're totally right about banana bread. I have to sometimes buy bananas just so they can get over-ripe enough to make it.
ReplyDelete