I should probably give a little intro as to how I met Maren. Steve and I had been married about 6 months and were still getting a little situated in our high turnover ward that consisted of newly wed nearly dead members. We showed up to the Christmas party and found ourselves seated next to a young couple like ourselves - Maren and Jordan Dille. I found out that Steve had actually been a clerk to the bishopric with Jordan for the past couple months (which Maren and I still scold our spouses for - not having us get together a long time before we did since they knew each other so long). We started talking and I found myself laughing so hard my stomach hurt! What I remember from the conversation was that Jordan had this intense fear of sharks to the extent that if he were in waist deep water at a beach and someone mentioned the word shark - he would be back on the sand within about 2.5 seconds leaving everyone else to fend for themselves. He watches shark week religiously in order to "study the enemy" as well. Maren had the greatest laugh that kept making me laugh harder too. We left that night with me insisting to Steve that we have them over for dinner.
It was actually months before we actually had them over due to busy school, work, and summers. At the end of the summer I was called to be the Young Women's President of the ward with Suzy Day as my 1st Counselor and Maren was my 2nd Counselor. That calling was one of the most challenging, stretching, and wonderful callings I ever had. (I of course bawled my eyes out when the bishop asked me to fulfill the calling...well actually I laughed the entire time and then the minute I got home I bawled my eyes out. I'm sure he thought I was a complete circus act in his office!) Anyway - the time I had with that little presidency was so wonderful. I loved getting to know Maren so much, and we found that we both got along really well with each other's husbands too. In fact Steve and Jordan were quite chummy themselves! We did a lot of things together, but what sealed the deal was our trip to New York. We had such a great time traveling together, it's just been understood since then that we'll keep doing it throughout our lives! Maren has always been such a great example to me of trying to look for the good in people, and it is so easy to feel spiritually boosted when talking about the Gospel with her. We both can be especially vocal, excited, opinionated, and random. I just love having her around! Anyway - there you go. Now on to the visit!
To start out with we had a random two days of roasting summer when she came. I had told her to back a jacket and long pants because it's still rainy and chilly here. The day she came we all were cooking here in our sauna of an apartment since I had our crock pot going all day for dinner on top of the warm weather. We got her settled in, had dinner, and talked forever that night...just so you know - there was lots of talking throughout the whole week.
The next morning we exercised with good ol' Jillian Michaels and then about passed out from how sweaty we got in the sauna apartment and trying to keep up with Jillian. We took it easy so Ally could recoop from her flight and talked a whole bunch...there's nothing like talking to a best friend! We got some Pizza Schmizza for dinner (another of Oregon's fine dining restaurants ;) ) and relaxed that night. The next day brought on the adventures...
| Ross has always got a new face for the camera. |
| Ally (Ross's fiance) is so darling I almost couldn't stand it! |
| The happy couple. The entire time they were here I kept realizing how big Ross is - he's no longer my baby - he's a toddler! Oh my heart just broke! He's getting too big too fast. |
| I just want to eat her up!! |
| Ally would always smile at me which melted my heart every time! (I love that you can see Ross's fingers touching her again. The little guy just couldn't keep his hands off her! |
| One of Ally's great tricks - the half back bend! Ally has an intense little body. She loves to just go go go, roll here and there, kick her little legs, and twist around to see everything. |
| Again with the head...it's like he has an obsession! Ally's face is saying "isn't this getting old to you?" ;) |
| The tulip fields were breathtaking! |
| Ooooooh. |
| Aaaaaaahh. |
| These were my favorite...maybe because they reminded me of the stargazer lillies that were in my wedding bouquet. It just has happy memories all around it. :) |
| A cute Ross with some tulips. |
| So we thought it would be an adorable picture if we could have Ally sit in Ross's lap...Ross wasn't really in the mood to be adorable...or cooperative with us pushy mommies. |
| Really not okay... |
| Alright - I guess we won't get the picture - at least Ally would have been okay posing. |
| Different setting - maybe this would be okay. |
| Ross still has some rebellion in him...I'm finding this more and more. When I tell this to my parents they laugh at how much this reminds them of me...oh please no! |
| I just think this picture is hilarious with Ross's eyes half closed and Ally's what-are-you-trying-to-do-here face. |
| Love that laughy smile! |
| Enjoying the babies! |
| Gorgeous Maren and Ally - totally adorable! |
| The plum colored tulips were amazing - I've never seen them that color before. And the yellow is just so happy. Love it! |
| Our dutch couple - SO cute. I'm sure they'll die seeing these pictures when they're older - but they're so cute now! |
![]() |
| Naked babies in the bath - utterly and completely embarrassing...and cute! |
| Now we got the picture right - except for my bulging neck! |
On Thursday I had to have Maren experience the thrift shopping here because it is quite the cultural thing to do. We went to my favorite Thrift city - where everything was half off. I came out with some nice Banana Republic capris for $1.15, and a couple cute shirts for Ross that were $.50 each...LOVE it! Maren scored a bunch of outfits for Ally, a book, and a great car/walking toy all for $13. Whenever I go to a retail store after that I feel so cheated. We then treated ourselves to the traditional Cheesecake factory where we both enjoyed the Chicken Bellagio (you really can't go wrong there) and Avocado Eggrolls. Yum! The babies were starting to get sick of being in car seats everywhere so we stopped at the temple for Maren to see and Ally to eat. It was a shame I didn't take any pictures!
Friday we headed out to Tillamook (yes my 5th trip - still fun!) and were entranced by the cheese assembly lines, enjoyed some more cheese tasting and indulged in some ice cream. We then headed out to the Cape Meares lighthouse. It was just drizzling a little when we got there so we unloaded the strollers to go take a look at the view. By the time we had unloaded the babies and were ready to go it was a complete down pour. We decided since we were already out of the car we might as well take a look. Of course I forgot my camera - so we didn't get a picture till we were back to the car. The quarter mile to the lighthouse is all downhill and wonderful. On our way back up, Maren and I were both pretty much horizontal with the ground pushing strollers back up the path in the rain...I guess we needed to work off that ice cream somehow!
| Ross and his future mother-in-law. I just realized I didn't get a pic with my future daughter-in-law. Boo! |
| Delish! |
| Ross very much enjoyed it as well. |
| So Maren couldn't get over Ross's chubby little hands. They are pretty adorable. :) |
| Getting drenched at the lighthouse! |
I just have to say that Maren is one of the best people I know. She has always had such a content and happy spirit about her. I am SO thankful to know her. We had a total blast!
| Saying good-bye - the parting of the happy couple. |
| So glad they could visit! |

Ah I'm totally pining for ORegon and the White family! I had the best time ever. Can't wait to come back this summer!!!!!!! Thank you so much for such an incredible week!
ReplyDelete