We also finally lowered his crib down for him to sleep. (Yes he's 10 months old and we hadn't lowered the crib.) Ross is one content little baby. When he was 2 months old - you would be holding him and he would start fussing. So - you lay him on the ground on his back and he would be happy as a clam. He never saw a need to roll around or get moving. He took forever to roll over. Sitting up was normal, but crawling hasn't been one of his goals in life either I think. He does an army crawl now which he quite enjoys, and rolls here and there. He's just barely been pulling himself up at times, but never tried it in his crib - so we left him as he was. I'm definitely not complaining that he's just now getting mobile. He's just a funny sort with how chill he is about getting around. Although he's getting more restless now. Church yesterday was like doing an acrobat's act in the circus! Ross wanted to sit, then stand, then have you hold him, only to want to go to someone else, then back to you, then back on the floor - all in the midst of being tired for his nap that he was of course missing for church. (That's the only downer of having your child trained to sleep in his bed - there's no chance EVER he'll go to sleep anywhere else unless he's beyond exhaustion and put up a good 2 hour fight.) We adore him though - he's such a goofball.
I am convinced if we had believed in reincarnation - Ross would have been a monkey and a puppy in the life before. He likes to pant and flap all his arms and legs with his tongue sticking out when he's excited, whines like a puppy, loves it when you rub his belly, and chews on everything. THEN - when he's playing with a toy on his back, he ALWAYS uses his feet to examine and hold it along with his hands. He loves to grab everything too...REALLY hard...things like - your face. Steve has some battle wounds that Ross left on him from that. If it's been a while since I've clipped his fingernails - then you're a goner if he gets his grip on you. He's a great pincher too. I think he could defend himself solely on pinches when it comes down to it. So there you have it - a monkey puppy - a ponkey, or a muppy. Whatever he is - he sure it cute and kissable. I just love it when we go in to get him up how excited he is to see us. He'll give kisses to you which consist of an open mouth and a tongue lick - but kisses nonetheless. He's figured out how to put balls into the right holes now in his little drum, and he loves touching the parts in the touch and feel books we have. Ross has also mastered the fake cry to a tee. It's very impressive - maybe he'll be an actor someday too. He still adores his Johnny Jump Up. He becomes Tarzan when he's in it yelling at the top of his lungs while swinging and bouncing around. I love walking into his room after he's fallen asleep in some insane position - smashed up at the top of his crib, completely upside down, or half out of his pajamas and blanket - he really is a little monkey. I just can't imagine life without that little Roscopants. We just want to eat him up all the time!
So there was Ross's little update. Steve is hanging in there with school. He's been getting back into the studying phase. We decided we are going to plan some outings for him to look forward to - the school, home, sleep, school routine is getting a bit old for him - so we're going to shake things up a bit and doing some venturing out. He's brilliant though - and so dedicated. Ross and I are so proud of him. I've been finally buckling down and taking a look at how to do food storage...I was reading the story of the 10 virgins and their oil lamps again in the New Testament, and realized - wow - I could be the one with no oil - I have the lamp (or the outline of what I should be doing - and even have the means of doing it) but is it full and ready? I know that parable is used so many different ways - it's really a beautiful parable, but it stuck out to me this time as regarding food storage. So I put together our 72 hour food kits (wahoo!) and am working on getting the rest of the 72 hour supplies gathered...then it will be working on having a little bit of a food storage. We're poor college students who aren't going to be staying here forever - so it doesn't really make sense to have 2 years worth yet. I'll be setting the goal at 1 month and then 2 months, and then hopefully I can get to 3 months before I sort ourselves out wherever we settle with the 2 years.
I also started a book club with some sisters in our ward. My goal is to keep it simple and casual - which so far so good. We're reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton. I'm super excited.
We've had a few nice sunny days lately which have been fun to go and enjoy. I really haven't minded the spurts of rain we've had. It really hasn't been a bad winter at all. Rather odd I think. I'm not complaining though. It's been nice to enjoy.
Well - there's an update! Whew.
| Ross and Steve addicted to Angry Birds. Steve even got his dad addicted to it too! |
| Such a cute face! He scratched his poor cheek with his own monkey grip! |
![]() |
| So Ross has this shirt from when he was 3 months old, and I found this 18 month one for 75 cents! Too bad I didn't take any pictures of the other one when he was little. Dang! |
| Ross exploring the new wonders of his bed. |
| Doesn't he just look like he's up to mischief? |
| So I LOVE Bajio's Shrimp Tacos and found a recipe that was strikingly similar. It was delish! I love a good honey glaze shrimp and mango salsa! |
| Ross and Steve playing fort. Ross couldn't decide if he was in or out. |
![]() |
| Such a stud! Don't worry - Steve got dressed for church too. :) |
Here is Ross the Puppy:



This is you being judged. How dare you keep your child in your room and close to you! We have been judged for the exact opposite. Kaitlynn was the most loved she got four weeks before she was kicked out. The others didn't last so long. It was too hard with Ryans nursing school and work schedule, his hours were just too weird and not consistent. Some days his alarm was going off at three. Some days he needed to sleep so he could work the night shift. I wish I could have had that kind of time with my babies. Be glad for that time and now enjoy reading a book in bed!
ReplyDeleteHey - am I going to be invited to your blog?? :) stacious11@gmail.com
DeleteMakes me laugh, Ross looks like a boy stuck in a jail cell in that crib......:-) ah well At least we have our room to ourselves now!
ReplyDelete