The rest of our family reunion was very enjoyable. We started the evening off with my favorite Italian bread from this family owned pizza restaurant in Fort Bragg. Put some melted butter on a slice and you’re in heaven – or have a ham sandwich and you’re good to go. Yes – I do have a loaf tucked away in our food bag for going home. We visited with family. I realized I hadn’t seen some of my cousins for about 10 years. That’s like going from young teenager to full on adulthood without so much as a “howdy-do”! I guess I’ve been so wrapped up in my own life I’ve forgotten to make sure to check up on how others are doing! Sheesh –how selfish is that! I’m very glad we made the insane trek here just to see some faces of cousins I grew up with – some of which have had children! My mom is the oldest of the family and deemed the bossy one (my mom claims it all came from my grandma always putting her in charge). My mom’s siblings are all ridiculously close In age – I believe they are all either a year or within 18 months apart. All the siblings, apart from my Uncle Michael who was working, were there. My mom, Joanne, then my Aunt Maya, Uncle Joe, Aunt Robin and Aunt Renee were all there with their fams. I hadn’t seen my cousins Tyler, Amber, Emily, and Ben for at least 10 years or more. Emily and Ben both have had children as well. It’s CRAZY how time goes by.
The next morning we got up early and took the boardwalk at McKariker Beach to go see us some tide pools. I love doing that – you get to see some great wildflowers on the way and then hike around all the seaweed and tide pools. We saw loads of crabs. Ross got to see the ocean for the first time – he was quite interested as you can see. After the tide pools we went back for Ross to take a nap – then had my grandpa’s famous pancake and waffle breakfast – though this time there weren’t any leftovers to take to the seagulls because there were so many people over for once! We went to Mendicino after that to do a photo scavenger hunt. We were with my Aunt Renee and Uncle Mark and cousin Tyler. Grandpa Staheli begrudgingly volunteered to stay home and take care of Ross while we went (okay – he was asking the whole trip to tend Ross while we went out. The scavenger hunt was way fun – we went in this chocolate shop called “The Bear’s Haus” and got these fresh raspberry bars that were to die for!! We actually went back the day before we left for more. I love going to Mendicino and Fort Bragg just to see all the people that live there – there are some interesting ones for sure – most with extremely liberal views….and long hair….and maybe tattoos all over their bodies. Okay – not everyone, but the interesting ones are like that – my grandparents excluded. Anyway – I also got my delicious Mendicino chocolate from the Mendicino Chocolate Company – one of the main reasons (aside from visiting my grandparents) I go there. Though – poor Ross does not like it when I eat lots of chocolate. I try really hard not to over indulge, but every once in a while – I just can’t help it! We went o Captain Flint’s for lunch where I got my usual Prawns and chips – yum – the restaurant is right on the docks. Part of the movie Overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell was filmed there. Afterwards we went back to the grandparents for a BBQ and a fireside from my grandpa. All of it was VERY good. Steve and I went for a walk on Ten Mile beach, but Ross decided he didn’t want to be left behind, so we only got a wander in before having to head back. Sunday was church and another BBQ. Ross was the only baby and it showed – he was out of the chapel the majority of the meeting – mostly because it was so hot. After lunch my Uncle Joe had the brilliant idea to have the grandkids interview my grandparents on video with different questions that sparked stories from their lives. It was pretty neat. I’m sure I will cherish those in the years to come. I learned some hilarious stories about my mom and aunts. We then took family pictures with everyone. After the interviewing and pictures we went for a stroll on the beach since it was a beautiful day. While we were there a helicopter landed to pick up a victim of a car crash that an ambulance was there to drop off. It was pretty crazy. Ten mile beach is pretty much the only place that’s flat enough and open enough for a helicopter to land.
The next day we went for a walk with my parents near MacKeriker beach with Ross. We saw a whole bunch of sea lions laying on the rocks. We got in really close and got some cool pictures. Sea lions are such interesting creatures – they are mammals, but their features look so fishlike – they can be on land, but they function better in the water. Does that not puzzle anyone else? After we walked back up to the path, some locals ran up and chastised us for going down to see the sea lions. We were so confused because we hadn’t seen any signs that said to keep away – when we walked a little further – we found the sign – but it was the only one and not anywhere near where we had been. Oh well – now we know. J I love the sea lions though – they are such a unique feature of Fort Bragg…among many. We went to Mendicino again because we thought it was going to be a beautiful day – but it misted the whole time. I’ve decided that is another form of precipitation – misting. It’s not really raining, but you’re getting wet all over. Misting happens a lot in Fort Bragg – it comes with all the fog. We went to the famous whale watching bench where my parents decided to get married 31 years ago and took some pictures. Steve and I walked around to the point where huge ships used to dock years ago. We hiked around and found loads and loads of starfish! They were huge too! We went back to my grandparents afterwards to eat some of my grandma’s delicious Risotto and salad (and more Italian bread of course) and play a game of Five Crowns. After that – we watched Jeopardy (which my grandparents watch religiously every night). My grandma says it keeps their minds going in their old age. My grandpa’s 84 and my grandma’s 79. They are both so with it still and though they are old, I can’t believe how active they are still in life. I will write more about them later – they have quite a story.
Well – that was a VERY long entry, but it was a terrific family reunion. We hope to have lots more in the future.
 |
| We went tide pooling for our first day there. Steve and Ross climbing around. |
 |
| Ross is very excited to be there! |
 |
| My mom in her element ;) |
 |
| My older brother Dallas hunting for crabs to take pics of and being stuck in a rock. |
 |
| My little brother Garrett braving the Pacific waters. |
 |
| Ross seems to have lost interest in tide pooling after so long. |
 |
| Getting my Mendicino chocolates...yum! |
 |
| This onesie basically describes what Fort Bragg is like haha - lovingly donated by my Aunt Renee! |
 |
| Eating traditionally at Captain Flints right at the bay. Steve's arm is about to give out holding our almost 17lb Ross out like that. :) |
 |
| CUTE boy. The socks were lovingly donated by Aunt Robin! Can we say he is spoiled? |
 |
| At Ten Mile Beach on a beautiful day! |
 |
| We played frisbee as a fam. |
 |
| We got to watch a helicopter land at Ten Mile because it's one of the only flat places in Fort Bragg. It was picking up a car accident victim. :( |
 |
| We got up early on the last day and went for a stroll down the beach with my parents and found some sea lions!! |
 |
| Grandma and Grandpa enjoying little Ross. |
 |
| Exploring Mendicino. This is where my parents decided to get married. There's a whale watching bench right next to us, but a guy hanging out with his radio was using it. |
 |
| Little huts someone made out of drift wood. |
 |
| We saw tons of star fish all along the base of the cliffs - they were huge! |
 |
| This is where waves would crash through and freak me out! Steve insisted on taking a picture. Ahhh! |
 |
| They have the most beautiful wildflowers in Fort Bragg. I love it! |
 |
| On our trek home we actually decided to drive it all in one go since Ross was doing so well....until this point where we had to stop and I had to walk him around to sleep. After that it was smooth sailing...we didn't get home until 3 in the morning! We can do ANY trip now I think after that affair! |
 |
| Steve was SO sweet and got the top tier of our wedding cake remade for our anniversary. We've been married 3 years now! It's the most amazing cake! It was everything I had remembered. Carrot cake with butter cream frosting. Steve can be such a romantic. :) |
 |
| Steve insisted I had the milk in the picture - because that helps make this cake so delicious. |
 |
| Heaven! |
that cake looks divine!! looks like a great trip!
ReplyDelete