Saturday, November 8, 2014

The Big Move (Seriously - BIG) and a Surprise Party!



I've come to realize with how much we've moved around for school and now jobs, I've gotten more and more lazy when it comes to packing up and moving.  When we moved from Provo to Oregon I was packing maybe a month before we moved.  When we moved apartments in Oregon I had things packed about two weeks before.  Then moving from Oregon back to Cottonwood Heights I was ready about a week before.  From there to Steve's parents was a few days, and THIS move was pretty much the day before and the day of.  Have I mentioned I HATE moving?  It is way to exhausting mentally, physically - and any other "ally" word you can think of.  Don't get me wrong - we are really good at moving, but there is never any joy that accompanies it - you would think once you get good at something, it would bring you some sort of happiness...nope - never have found that.  Okay - rant over.



SO - THE MOVE. 



The plan was to pull out all our already packed boxes, check and label them, then simply pack up our bedrooms, call it a day, go out to eat and to a movie since it was going to be so simple. Haha.  Steve wanted to run a couple errands which turned in to taking care of car issues...seriously.  It took practically the entire afternoon.  I came home to start packing some more when my dad called and asked me to go pick out a present for my mom with him.  I tried to tell him we were swamped, but he wouldn't let up, so I relented and went with him.  It turned out to be a surprise to go pick out an early birthday present before we left.  Super nice - I got two great new pairs of shoes.  I thought that was a fun surprise, but when I got home I got an even bigger surprise - a birthday party! 



Steve had worked hard, planning it three weeks in advance (I know right?), and invited our families and some of our friends.  I was completely surprised and impressed with how they disguised it.  A surprise on top of a surprise - VERY fun.  :) The hilarious part was Steve had thought I was turning 30 THIS year (yeah - he's not accountable for remembering anything other than PT information for those three years he was in grad school) and had told everyone else that.  When he realized it was actually 31 through a conversation we had, they decided to turn it in to a 29th birthday - which was fabulous - I think I'll just have 29th birthday parties from now on. :)

 
Being serenaded by a rendition of "Sweet 29" - you get to go backward after you turn 30 - did you know that?




Wonderful family and friends :)




It was so fun visiting with everyone.  They sang to me, we ate yummy appetizers and drank delicious hot chocolate, and my sister-in-law, Beka, made a fabulous double chocolate cake (my favorite).  We even had our friends, the Jaggi's, come all the way down from Bountiful.  So sweet.  It was a GREAT party - I loved it.  It was a wonderful birthday present!



Since we had a fun party, we had to do our packing most of the next day which also was the day we had to pack our truck.  So I became one of THOSE people who are frantically packing WHILE people are trying to take things to the truck (given we did have a lot of it all done already, but it wasn't completely ready).  By that evening we were finally packed and exhausted. Ruby wouldn't eat anything that night and asked to go right to bed (warning sign).  By the time we were going to bed about 11:30PM we heard her....checked on her to find she had barfed everywhere.  Remember that PLAGUE that somehow keeps finding us at the wrong times?  Yeah - he came back again the night before we're driving 12 hours out to Colorado.  Steve decided to stay up with her and let me sleep and I would start the driving at 4:30 that morning.  She consistently threw up  throughout the entire night and slept maybe 45 minutes.  We did have enough time to wash and dry all the gross clothes before we left.  We left by about 6:30 with Ruby having a clean slate for the past 45 minutes.  We had the bowl ready, Clorox, and paper towels on hand to be prepared for any problems. 



Incredibly, she didn't throw up for the whole trip, or even after that.  AND she slept for a good portion of the drive anyway.  It went quite smoothly other than her MASSIVE meltdown from exhaustion once we got to our house in Colorado.  Ross was a complete champ and even drove with Grandpa and Grandma White for most of the trip.  He was a great helper loading AND unloading the truck (which he was SO impressed by - it was a 26 footer).  My dad drove our 26 ft. truck with our Elantra on the trailer in the back, and may have lost a few years off his life driving through the mountains in to Denver - it was terrible, but he got here safely thank heavens. 



Back to the plague - he decided to leave Ruby, send a postcard to Claudia who felt sick the night we got here to Colorado, but ultimately visit Don for the night.  We found out the next morning that a big handful of our family members all had gotten little visits from the plague as well - Dallas and Thomas both got it the night we left (they were going to help us move initially -but got sick and had to cancel), and then Nathan, Beka, and Alex all got it along with Young and my mom.  I guess we didn't want to make everyone feel TOO bad about us leaving - right? 



We started putting things away and getting sorted after we arrived (which incredibly, our ward brethren showed up the night we got here and unpacked our truck in about 45 minutes - it was SO nice!).  Ross went with Steve and his parents to pick some things up at the store and, out of nowhere, totally threw up over the whole floor - poor thing.  The strange thing was he had had a stomach bug the weekend before so we thought he was over it.  They came back with barf clothes and for us to find out the water had been shut off - without warning!   Yeah - not so fun - especially when you have people with stomach bugs who can't wash things off or flush toilets.  Luckily we got it sorted within a few stressed out hours, but there was definite panic going on in the middle of it.  We also got our gas shut off later...but THAT is another story. 



Amazingly, my dad, Steve, and I didn't get touched by that nasty plague (knock on wood) and everyone else managed to recover.  Now we're just doing all that fun unpacking, organizing, and putting away while we settle in to our new life here in Lamar.  My dad did wonders setting up and putting together furniture and fixing things that were wrong or would drive us crazy, and Don and Claudia did wonders helping put our house together, unpacking, and organizing a sandbox in our back yard for the kids - Ross was SUPER excited.  We were so sad to see them go, and Ross is more than ready for them to come back.  We're excited to be here though.  A whole new life to try out.  I wonder what's in store for us here.  Another crazy adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment